Experienced user-centred designer
Hi, I’m Ian Hallworth and over the last 20 years have crafted responsive websites, digital services, native mobile apps and desktop software for public and private sector clients such as BBC, Brighton Museums, British Library, Channel 4, Dorling Kindersley, Modern Poetry, Oxford University Press and Royal College of Music.
I am based in Hove Actually, Brighton & Hove, UK
- UX, UI, Design for digital devices
- 20 years experience in interactive media
- Self starter, highly motivated
- Design for Publishing, Media & Cultural sectors
- Client-friendly, team-friendly
- Good communicator
- Complexity a speciality
- Speak design, business and tech
As a user-centred designer my role is to satisfy the needs of the user and those of your business.
I’m good on the details, but start with the bigger picture.
For each and every project I try to gain as much insight and understanding into the business and users as possible; this can involve clarifying business and user goals, analysing current and previous user behaviour and challenging assumptions about how and why things are done.
When designing a user interface I’m asking myself these questions
- How can we reduce cognitive load?
- Is there an established design pattern for this?
- Have we established the visual hierarchy?
- Does the user need this right now?
- Is it clear what the user should do next?
- Does it scan well?
- Is the look and feel appropriate to the brand?
- Is there a better way to do this?
Getting to know and understand your users, brand and product means my work often crosses into other fields such as
- Highly Commended: ALPSP Awards for Publishing Innovation, 2013
- Shortlisted for Best Publisher Website, Futurebook Innovation Awards, 2013
Melt Funding Awardee, 2008
Moore at Kew
Official Honoree, Webby Awards, 2008
Special Recognition for Accessibility, Brighton & Hove Web Awards, 2007
The Big Roman Dig
Shortlisted for Best Website &Best Arts Site, BIMA Awards, 2005
Site of the Day, Culture 24, 2005
Agencies/brands/companies I’ve worked for include:
- AMX Studios
- Antibodypedia (Denmark/USA)
- Attica Cybernetics
- Avios (SouthAfrica)
- Brill Online
- British Library
- Bucks County Museum
- Carers UK
- Channel4 TV
- CompuServe (UK)
- Culture Online
- Dawsons News
- Doncaster Museum
- Dorling Kindersley
- Gill Instruments
- Hewlett-Packard (UK)
- Huguenot Museum
- JC Raulston Arboretum (USA)
- Kaqoo (Singapore)
- Middlesex University
- Mind in Brighton & Hove
- Modern Languages Association (USA)
- Nagra (France/S.A/UK)
- Natural Instinct
- Oxford University Press (USA/UK)
- People Alchemy
- Pocket Wardrobe
- NHS Digital Direct
- Remedy UK
- Royal Kew Gardens
- Royal Pavilion and Museums, Brighton
- Sofas & Stuff
- Star Computers
- Start Interactive
- UK PubMedCentral
- WPM Education